I’ve thought about writing about what I want to be when I grow up a few times now. Each time I realize the notion is kinda silly. I have a job, a career. Yet today there was a segment on a Sunday morning TV program discussing the concept of “late bloomers”. These “late bloomers” were described as people who found their passion and success later in life. This segment inspired me to think more about the many possibilities for my future. So, here is my current list of things I want to be when I grow up.
1. Children’s book author/illustrator – I’m always trying to come up with ideas for this. Recently, I thought I might be on to something. Once this challenge is over, I might devote some writing time to this.
2. Food Truck Owner – How awesome would this be! I have no idea what I would sell, but it would be delicious and have only a few varieties. Maybe quesadillas? Maybe lobster rolls? Maybe cake balls? I once made 600 hundred cake balls as favors for my wedding, so I know that’s something I can pull off.
3. House Remodel Expert – My husband and I are remodeling a house and overall, I am loving it. I like to see our progress and honestly enjoy the work. I keep telling my husband that someday we’ll quit our jobs and flip houses for a living. He says we’ll see.
4. Excel Number Chart Data Creator/Analyst – I know, right? Who thinks this is a possible future career? Even though I’m a reading specialist, I also LOVE numbers. Figuring out break-even equations in my freshman year intro to business class almost convinced me to be a business major. Feeling completely at home in an elementary classroom convinced me to think again.
5. Guidance Counselor – This one is totally doable. I probably have to take a few more classes or a test or two, but at least this one is the neighborhood of my current job.
6. Speech Therapist – This one is a tough one to add to the list. I originally wanted to go to school for this. Somewhere along the way, I ended up a school without this as a major. I always thought it would be a possibility for graduate school or the future. I know it is still possible, but family takes precedent right now. This might be something worth revisiting in the future. Maybe the near future.
Ahhh, I feel like I could go on and on. There are so many possibilities for future endeavors. At some point, I will have to decide where my career path is headed. Will I continue down the road I’m on? Will I find that I have already found my passion? Or will I always wonder what could have been? Will I take a leap of faith and try out one of my many dreams? Time will tell.